BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:25:10 EST
In a message dated 98-01-19 10:44:40 EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I'm not sure what this has to do with suggesting that a mutually acceptable
>  definition of modern architecture for the purposes of our BP discussion
>  would be helpful.

I vote for the a mutually acceptable definition of modern architecture, but I
may have missed if we arrived at it as yet. The finer examples being pushed by
the docomomo movement I like, Seagram, Lever etc. It is not that I hope for a
dystopia of only old things... it is simply that I do not want to spend my
life wandering in a constructed environment that drains my energy and makes me
feel desperately alien to the earth. The mall in the middle of Rockville, MD
is an example of a place mathat sucks the life out of you - ny years ago the
city tore down a grouping of historic buildings and built a parking garage
mall without windows to the outside world. We have one here in the unHamptons
where they finally cut through the walls and put in storefronts, now at least
it looks like the place is open. I want buildings that give energy back, that
raise the spirit. My wife has told me several times that there should be a law
that when a business goes out they should be forced to remove their old signs.

][<en Follett