BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The saddest thing someone can say: "I used to write poetry."
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:35:17 +1100
]<en

Sorry for the belated response.  Work is cascading
over me in a manner similar to Niagara in the spring.
No time to check BP.  But I have anyway.  And what do
I find?

> I was recently asked what could be done in a
> remedial manner to retrofit a
> 40' high travertine panel wall (1-1/4 thickness
> panels) in which structural
> steel studs, with a non-waterproofed layer of
> exterior (?) sheetrock, form
> the backup with the anchors being a ferrous disk
> (not stainless), now rusting
> and popping shards of the stone and thus reducing
> the integrity of the wall,
> with a dog-leg from the disk welded to the steel
> stud, we hope it is welded.

> This was over the phone long distance from Dallas

I know of a couple of curtain wall consultants based
in Dallas ... and surely they'd know better than to
have to ask anybody else ... they certainly don't
listen to anybody else most of the time, or at least
not in my (our) experience!

> After contempleting the faxed sketch
> for several nano-seconds,
> grunting a few times, a healthy pause of
> contemplation, I broke down and
> asked if they had considered the availability of a
> structural duct tape.

Sounds like a really neat solution - just
aesthetically a bit suspect.  I'm sure we could
develop that.  Sounds like the time we developed
concept details for wrapping a 40 storey office tower
in hail netting (bit like knitted shadecloth, only
slightly coarser mesh).  We had it all worked out, but
the building owner decided against it because he
couldn't clean the windows!  We were even thinking
about hiring Christo so we could make it cost neutral!

Seriously though, given that the anchor disks are
corroding, the wall is f***ed, and will need to come
down.  Therefore, they should be aiming at spending as
little as possible, and thus some sort of safety
solution would be good.

We restrained sandstone units against concrete encased
steel columns for 5-6 years using steel channels held
in place with that steel strapping tape they use on
pallets ex-factory.  If we'd known it was going to be
there for 5-6 years we might have used stainless steel
cable instead, but the concept worked fine.  Didn't
look great, but that wasn't the issue in that case.

I'd think about:
1) locate structural members with a covermeter
2) drill through travertine and drill into steel
3) use a combination of a toggle bolt fixing through
the travertine and restrained behind the steel (to
hold the travertine onto the wall) and epoxy injected
into a sock sleeve between the travertine and the stud
(to create an 'epoxy pad' between the back of the
stone and the steel to hold the travertine away from
the wall).

But then, I might want a commission!!

Good luck anyway.

> On other projects we have been using this super tape
> that is used to hold
> aircraft wings together.

Can you give us a specification (brand names
preferred)?

> I consider myself fortunate that I do not write a
> column for the Sunday Real
> Estate section of a major newspaper as I would be
> needing the services of a
> fact checker.

See link below for article on stone falling off
buildings down here in Sydney.  Interesting that even
with your facade inspection bylaws, it makes no
difference ... says a lot about some of the
inspectors?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0203/09/national/national28.html

I'm off to Beijing for two weeks - so probably won't
be seeing much of this email until Easter.

Cheers

david

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.