BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 18:35:38 EST
In a message dated 98-01-19 02:42:44 EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> The "stars", the Mies, Gwathneys, Johnsons are a mere handful of the total
>  population and have far less influence, I think, on what gets seen in the
>  common environment than does the guy who designs the mall that achieves
>  100% occupancy nearest the mall to be designed next. And that is as likely
>  to be "historical" in some sense, Spanish Colonial in Florida and
>  California,  American Colonial in New England. I've seen malls meant to be
>  taken for Tudor towns, Danish villages, Venice, Japanese temples and
>  western towns, all in Northern New England.

OK, I contend that the anonymous architect of the local mall made out of
cinder block with steel truss flat roof, the large parking lot, poor traffic
pattern, housing the Caldors, Radio Shack, Liquor Store, Blockbuster,
unprofitable bookstore, Fotomat, GAP, and Walgreens grocery store... nextdoor
to the 1700's building that they want to tear down for an expansion of the
mall... would kick my gonads into orbit if I were to tell them their fake
seabreeze (gawd knows what style it is but it reminds me of a stinking lilac
candle in a glass jar) bastard of a building is an eyesore and abomination
(much improved when McDonalds replaced the Pizza Hut), especially considering
the glut of vacant strip malls already in the area. I would consider that to
be an excess of ego. OK, it is not his/her fault, only trying to make a
living, etc. Probably my fault I like to shop for remainder books in Caldors.
Actually, a group of guys pooled their resources to build the place, which
everyone in the community thought was a sign of economic prosperity, like, one
day our house values will once again exceed the purchase price. Yeah, banks do
this stuff.

][<en Follett