BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:13:39 -0500

Not quite. One, two, or three courses times some length, mostly 8', but some shorter. I think the ones they used were shorter. The more courses, the more waste cutting them to size around windows & doors. Their siding was not individual shingles glued to plywood backer, but thin sheets of cedar glued to plywood that then were saw-cut to give the appearance of individual shingles. The net effect is that at every vertical shingle butt joint, instead of having two additional layers of shingle behind the joint like you would with a traditional wall, you have a teeny thin strip of glued-down cedar covering your plywood.

I think it promises replacement costs far sooner than I will be replacing the siding on my barn. But we shall see. They have already had to reapply protectant to the things as they dried out in less than five years. Mine are weathering nicely to a lovely dark brown craftsman color, similar to the old creosote finish. I'll report back when they are installing their new siding.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.   "Have nothing in your house that
Raleigh Historic              you do not know to be useful
Districts Commission          or believe to be beautiful."
[log in to unmask]                         -- William Morris
919/516-2632

--

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.” -- **Please remember to trim posts, as requested in the Terms of Service** To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: <http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html>