BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:42:58 -0500
Cuyler,

Very nice and brings back my memories as well.

Though I did not mean to imply a put-down of the Cornell library if it
came across that way. I did not have the depth of your experience but it
was only after I left Ithaca and realized how constricted the majority
of library systems are in the country that I came to truly appreciate
that county residents could get a University library card, take out all
sorts of odd books, and were given relative freedom to read in the
libraries. A good deal of my time if not working (12 hour days 6 days a
week at that time busting stone) was spent between poetry, art and the
architectural library looking at books about stonework. It was that very
access to such an excellent library that put it in my head that one can
educate themselves if they have a mind to it. But it was that thirst
that led me to spend as much time at the Library of Congress asking for
obscure books when I had the opportunity.

Nowadays in this community of Spastic Beach in the unHamptons where it
is remarkable to see anyone reading a book in public, outside of the
library, it is an odd quirk that we have a very active and vibrant
library. Very little in old books, in fact, none.

The Ketchum Inn on the East side of Moriches, a skip & throw from here,
is a restoration from the 18th century that is held together by a local
hero who appreciates the authentic as best as the economy of his
non-profit will allow. Every summer they have a used book sale in the
barn. Nothing spectacular in the selection, good readable materials. I
like the cheery ladies that run the shop and I enjoy the gossip about
folks that I do not know and that I overhear when I visit.

I was in the Borders bookstore the other day and saw a Sony e-book
reader on display. I picked it up and was wondering how it would handle
my laying on the couch and reading it while falling asleep. Noticed that
the screen was gray and the letters not black black.... possibly harder
to read I felt than a book. Without, sometimes with, the reading glasses
I strain and tend to fall asleep. The toy might have been broken. I
thought how defective floor models don't speak well for merchandise. A
young fellow behind me that looked to be an informed geek consumer said,
"The newer one is better." I turned, looked at him, "Yeah, but this is
the one that is here." I put it back on the little stand. It fell over.
I was off to smell real books.

The adventure of the rarity of access to old and odd books is somewhat
alleviated by the internet... but it is not quite the same kind of a
sensual experience.

I had a friend in Silver Spring, MD, north of DC who was a used book
seller. I spent a good bit of time with him talking about the
merchanting of used books. There are books that folks buy to read, and
those that are bought to collect. In this histo presto business I did
work at one time for the ad man Ed McCabe (the guy that put Mr. Perdue
on the TV). He had an autographed Huck Finn first edition on his couch
table. It was the only book I ever saw that he had. I have books to
collect, but the majority are for the reading.

][<en