BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 23:42:34 -0700
A key to Skype video or camera use is the quality of the camera.   For
sharing drawings, I used a nifty digital and video microscope called
"Scope-on-a-Rope" made by Scaler Scientific.   It has interchangeable lenses
that fit both a video head and a digital head.  The 1:1 lens with infinite
focus works well for drawings when mounted on a stand for stability.   The
high resolution and built-in automatic light control option made it great
for drawings and images from the architectural planning models, while the
standard little computer camera is good for faces and not mush else.

The other thing that is a necessity for good communication is headphones to
eliminate feedback.   I love the handy little mikes that plug into a laptop.
However, you have to have the mike ready to plug in in a hurry if someone
calls and your computer rings.   No mikie no talkie.   I missed a few calls
that way, but the Skype memory system shows who called so you can call back.

One aspect we used a lot during the museum design process was the
simultaneous combination of voice, live video and Chat Box.   Written
chat-style messages can be made during live time, on screen in a side box at
the same time as the video image and voice.   For example, we might be
discussing lighting fixtures, and one of us could type in the web address of
a certain company, allowing the other to instantly bring up that web site on
screen for inspection and mutual discussion.

Skype is amazingly simple to use, but I did not find the new version worth
downloading and wished I could go back to the old one.    I hate being
compelled to learn yet another set of "improvements" when the old system
suited me just fine.   I just do not need all those choices of ring tones
and happy face screen emotion ornaments.

Of course Skype doesn't allow you to dial up someone who does not "share
their details", like Brian, until they log on to Skype again and see a new
text message waiting for them, asking their permission.   Of course maybe he
did and maybe he doesn't want to, but that is the beauty of the "secure
system".   No one from a foreign country can call trying to sell you
something over the Skype phone unless you want them to.

cp in bc
(over the line)