BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"T. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:32:01 -0500
Disclaimer: Hope I'm not preaching to the choir but here is a serious
answer because the original question seemed legitimate (although I never
really know with this group).  Also, all information is non-professional.

While a useful tool, as I understand it, dendrochronology can only tell
you so much, i.e. dates of some part of the life span of the tree the
lumber being tested came from.  Unless you have a relatively complete
trunk (and I have seen early buildings where whole trees with their bark
still attached have been used as floor joists after the top edge has
been hewn a bit flat) your information would only be specific to the
piece of the tree being tested.  It might be from the core and hence
older, the interior or nearer the exterior and hence younger.  Unless
you can date the layer that was immediately under the bark (sapwood),
you can't even tell when it was felled with any accuracy (some use the
likely life span of a tree to develop a possible range).  Vertical
location would also make a difference in the dating, the core closer to
the top being younger than at the base.

Keep in mind, too, it was not uncommon for parts of one building to be
reused in another.  Even today there are companies actively recycling
buildings.  I know there are currently 100+ year old barns on Long
Island that came from New Jersey less than 20 years ago.  What useful
information would dating one of those barns by dendrochronology give you
about the building's age and history?

Dating a building using just one technique is kind of like the blind
men (or are we using visually challenged persons now) and the elephant
parable, you're not going to get very reliable information from just one
source.

I think you will find it hard to determine with absolute authority when
a historic building was first erected unless you have some detailed
written record available and supporting evidence that what is there now
is the same as what was first built.  Failing that, you have to use all
the dating tools at your disposal and then often are forced to take a
best guess to merely determine a range of dates.

Evidence of saw pit marks was mentioned.  Tool marks can be used to give
some idea of the age of materials but that method is by no means
foolproof.  Hand hewn and hand sawn marks are fairly distinct as are
vertical sawmill marks and all would be expected on timbers produced
before the Industrial Revolution but there is no hard line when they
would have disappeared.  Urban areas most likely would have changed
first but there might have been a surplus of materials that could have
been used years later.  Also, how does anyone know that the lumber
you're are looking at was not manufactured more recently, say even by
some historic reenactor using traditional tools and techniques just a
few years ago.  Circular sawmill marks from after the start of the
Industrial Revolution would exclude the possibility of earlier
construction unless it happened to be a replacement piece in an older
structure.  Moreover, the more modern planing marks might be mistaken
for vertical saw marks by an untrained eye.

Design is another dating tool but it too is obviously imperfect as it is
subject to correct current analysis and interpretation as well as the
personal and regional tastes of the original builder and yields only
rather large time span estimates.  Interior and exterior finish
materials can be used as dating evidence but again are imperfect and are
only as reliable as the confidence one has that they are original.
Paint analysis might be useful as long as there has been no removal and
replacement.  Nails and screws used in the construction can be dated
but, once again, taken alone, that method is imperfect.

Public records like deed, tax, probate, and wills can list buildings and
as long as there is some proof of continuity, can be useful in dating
buildings.

An understanding of the development patterns of the area will also help
in a limited way to establish likely dates.

So, with lots of study, along with some knowledge and wisdom as well as
a little luck, you might be able to get a vague idea the age of a
particular building.  Good luck dating yours.

T. Gale with lots of rings but who's counting.