BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

When I'm in bed I'm a tourist.
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:34:30 -0500
If I knew the answer to that they might make me a director of preservation
somewhere. Researching causes of glaze spalling is actually a little beyond
our normal scope of work. But if I were doing research into causes of glaze
spalling, I'd be looking at whether the effect is in any way analagous to
epoxy flooring system failures in slabs on grade. You can't blame freeze
thaw indoors. You can't explain it in terms of hydrostatic pressure. I've
heard some questionnable arguments about alkalinity and osmotic pressure.
But if you get moisture stuck under an epoxy floor, it ends up looking a lot
like glaze spalling.

Then there's the green and black bio-growth under the glaze. Are they
digesting the bisque at the interface?

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President