BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:52:50 -0400
Hello,
I work occasionally with Donald Baerman, AIA, who I believe was the
first person to write an article on the copper/cedar thing.  I convinced
him to finally go back to copper (it looks good with wood).  I have used
and seen copper with cedar all my life and have not see problems  in
deference to what I have read.  I called a technical person at Obdyke
and Revere a few years back but can't remember what their response was!
You should call and let us know.
        Yale insists on continuing the use of lead coated copper, which
is an environmental hazard as well as a worker issue (which is not
covered by OSHA or EPA).  Someone should do a study on lead content of
water run off and blood levels of roofers who handle the stuff all day.
As well, within a few years the lead has worn off  at drip points (gee,
where did it go, Dave?) and the copper shows through.  I suggest using
copper and increasing the gauge at valleys.
        Don't get me wrong, I love lead.  It is great to work and can be
very pretty.  It is truly the best thing ever added to paint,  But if it
is truly a hazard we should not continue using it.
Best,
Leland