BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Royal Order of Lacunae Pluggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:39:33 EST
In a message dated 3/1/2001 10:55:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  To be able to match up the growth rings
 like a spectrographic chemical pattern to a known database of growth
 patterns based upon the climatic conditions, and know when the tree was cut
 to create the timber  >>

Would somebody please explain to me how you know when the tree was cut
without having the outermost layer of wood (and therefore the bark) still in
place?  I understand how you can determine the sequence of years before it
was cut, but without the bark, how do you know you're not looking at some
sequence long before it was cut?  Huh?

Ralph

Ralph