BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:08:35 -0400
positive and negative relates to the pressure on the wall created by the
water, e.g.:

water trying to get into the building - positive pressure on the outside
face of the wall and negative pressure on the inside face of the wall.
Generally easier to waterproof on the positive side, during construction,
and negative pressure after construction is complete.

Also, the materials for positive side are simpler - tar, membranes, drainage
mat etc. Negative side generally relies on the integrity of the wall being
waterproofed - which often is weak due to long term "water infiltration".
Materials such as Xypex work on limited substrates in good condition. My
opinion in many situations is let the water in and then manage it.

Please note my direct phone and fax numbers have changed again

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Associate
LZA Technology