BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Pamela S. Follett" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2005 11:39:26 -0400
Ruth -

I came from Besemer - a map dot outside of Ithaca.  You've lumped me into a
group, and inferred a steroetype.  My issue is not that I want to change
"their" way of life, it's that they're pissing and moaning about stupid crap
and there is absolutely no reason eras can't comingle, and there are a lot
of long time (some leaftime) residents here who keep complaining that
they're being kept in the dark and Phelps isn't making progress - being
stifled by the powers that be, and how it used to breathe.  Now, it's
gasping for air.  Believe me, I've heard from a lot of people who think it's
wonderful that something is happeneing around town.  Because of our
historical society that appears to have a bizarre understanding of what
preservation means and the way people's assessments go up just for painting,
we have a 1 block downtown that is dying, and officialdom seems not to care.
In fact, the place looks downright gross with paint chipping off and facades
that are in desparate need of fixing before they start to tumble down on
pedestrians, and boarded up windows.  It's one thing to put things back the
way they were through preservation; thus, allowing the world to continue to
live and grow - it's entirely another to stagnate it into dumpiness and
death simply because "all change is bad."  Hence, my "excentric
urbaniteness" might help remove the goddamn blinders in this town.

- Pam