BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:27:55 -0800
>Is this why we don't want to see the food preparer in the
>sandwich shop also working the cash register?

So right, Dan.   Knowing where my spare change hangs out, and knowing where
theirs hangs out too, I'm not too keen on putting their coins in my mouth.
In BC, we have a training program named FoodSafe required for commercial
food handlers and managers.   Filled with actual examples of very awful
commercial food events, it sure opened my eyes when I was running the
Historic site with a food service.

However, obsessive-compulsive behaviour takes it all to another amazing
level, well beyond immune systems and microbiology.   The fascinating and
tragic aspect is how the behaviours can be elaborately hidden so no one else
will notice, and I doubt, for example, that your microbio lady goes around
the house with alcohol dabbing every handled surface after guests, or you,
leave; or carries several special gloves in the pockets of coats, each
designated to for touching specific things, one for the house door, one for
the car door, each with its own level of putrification potential.

The amazing thing is that even while so much energy is dedicated to this
behaviour, the person is still remarkably brilliant and an accomplished
professional.   Amazing how much our little brains are capable of doing.

cp in very clean bc