BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Sasser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:04:46 -0400
Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on the failure of elastomeric coatings applied over
previous patching compounds, and the idea of using a barrier coating of fiberous
neoprene.  We're going to be using a lot of this stuff in the next phases of
stabilization at Ellis, and it's great to have any input on potential problems.
This is one reason why the Conservancy's demonstration project was so important
in giving us a completed example of a stabilized building to monitor as we get
ready to tackle the other 28 buildings.  Also, I'd like to congratulate the
Cornell University historic preservation program alumnae and students who did a
volunteer weekend last spring and stabilized the Staff House on the south side
of Ellis.  Not only did they donate all the materials, they did a great job of
organizing, and turned out a large and hard working crew.  I think the thing
that impressed me most though, was the fact that they were motivated to take on
a stabilization project in the first place.  I think its a very encouraging sign
that preservation education generally is evolving in focus to include areas like
stabilization, preservation maintenance, and hands on project work.

Lisa