BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Callahan's Preservationeers"
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:38:23 EDT
In a message dated 04/25/2000 2:24:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  He came up
>  with a very broad definition of gossip -- something like "unnecessary
>  communication of information about another person without their
>  knowledge."

Wow. Great commentary. I offer you the yardstick that I follow regarding
gossip:

If I am talking to someone about a mutual acquaintance, would I be willing to
face the subject of the gossip, and say to them what I am saying to the third
party? If I could face a person, and make my comments to their face, then I
don't really consider it gossip. If I couldn't, or would have to make
significant editorial adjustments to my speech, then I qualify it as gossip.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm a pretty ballsy broad, and there isn't much
that I wouldn't say to someone, so it may be rationalization, but ... it
works for me.

-Heidi