BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:03:03 -0500
James Blythe wrote:
> I can't imagine the endless bureaucratic decision making process it would take to decide to feed the pigeons red-dyed corn. Wouldn't the birds fly away at some point anyways, thereby staining everyone else's buildings red? And how would you electroshock a pigeon's roost on a building? Do you push some kind of rod towards them, or is it more a case of electrifying the entire building surface, no easy feat I imagine?
James,

Well, loose running red stain has been documented but not with urban
pigeons. Clinical tests on the red corn have only proven themselves out
in caged environments. A lot of that going on at taxpayer cost at
Brookhaven Labs. There have not been the field tests as yet. Though
pigeons tend to roost in the same place as long as the wind is not
blowing too hard. So the crux of the problem is making sure to select
out the pigeons that roost over brick walls as opposed to say the
pigeons that roost over limestone walls. Nobody has quite figured out
yet what to do about the ones that roost over glass walls.

The electroshock works by running two bare wires in parallel and when
the pigeon sits down it gets a little tingly burning sensation. I
suppose if you want to climb around on buildings and push little rods
towards pigeon behinds we cannot exactly stop you. Though I would
suggest that firecrackers would be more effective.

][<en