BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:42:41 -0500
>In a message dated 1/9/98 1:21:50 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> All federally permitted or funded projects which
>>  have effects on historic structures would follow the Secretary of
>Interior's
>>  Standards and Guidelines in negotiating the treatment of specific
>>  properties affected by the undertaking.
>
>Although one would hope that the Standards and NHPA would protect historic
>properties affected by federal undertakings, all too often the result is "D&D
>preservation" -- document and destroy.  Memorandums of agreement, in my
>experience, are notoriously uncreative when it comes to mitigation and
>sensitive treatment of historic resources.
>
>Mary Krugman

Yep, I call it "gumming them to death."  The whole process is set up to
worry the hell out of them until they give you a crumb with which to sop up
what's left in the bottom of the bowl in order that they may maintain some
semblance of their project schedule.  The latter is why you get the
crumb...to make you stop so they can move on.

Dan Becker
Executive Director, Raleigh Historic Districts Commission