BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 10:42:10 -0100
I suspect that it has nothing to do with the wood.
I have had alligatoring on cast iron that was the result of application
of the top coat too soon prior to the base coat curing.
Considering in NYC that everyone wants everything done instantly it is a
wonder we are not the Alligator City.

][<en

    Common Paint Problems & Solutions

*Alligatoring: *
Patterned cracking in the surface of the paint film resembling the
regular scales of an alligator

*Possible Cause:*

    * Application of an extremely hard, rigid coating, like an alkyd
      enamel, over a more flexible coating, like a latex primer
    * Application of a top coat before the undercoat is dry
    * natural aging of oil-based paints as temperatures fluctuate. The
      constant expansion and contraction results in a loss of paint
      elasticity