BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:21:46 -0400

> In a message dated 8/20/2002 9:34:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > Isn't this also known as fluid-applied acrylic elastomeric coating?
> >
> Dan,
>
> I did not read your post until after I posted. Actually, not all
traffic
> coatings are acrylic. And I'm unclear if they all classify as
elastomeric.
> Having done a project of concrete balconies not too long back, and
gotten
> shafted in the process, I can report that we used two types of
traffic
> coating materials, one a styrene based material, the other a polymer
cement
> based. Though these materials are commonly used for parking garages,
etc.
> their durability is also good for the traffic of rocking chairs.
>
> If it were me I'd go for the raw concrete.
>
> ][<en

Ken,

I wouldn't have used either one of those systems.

Styrene is an inherently UV-unstable material which will discolor and
break down mechanically outdoors. It's DOA, as far as I'm concerned.

I have also seen and heard the shpiel for the polymer-modified
cementitous stuff, which is based on styrenated acrylic latex
modifiers developed in Germany. I had the opportunity to meet the
German inventor, several years ago. We got past the published
performance specs and into questions of longer term performance
history. It isn't pretty. Cement, however flexible it is made by
initial overdose of polymer, is still cement. The time comes, a few
years down the line, when it kind of just behaves a lot like concrete.
Definitely not elastomeric.

As for the typical commercial parking deck coatings made today, most
are moisture-cured polyurethane. They work, most of the time.

Acrylic elastomeric coatings can be as varied as acrylic polymers are
themselves varied in their properties. The typical waterborne stuff
was developed for the roof coating market and doesn't withstand much
traffic or abrasion. The reactive monomer systems can be stronger and
have a reasonable history in highway and bridge work.

Definition of elastomeric is not standardized, but should include the
following:

1. Has a reproducible % elongation, typically between 100 and 1000%.
2. Recovers after being stressed to elongation, typically at least 50
or 60%.
3. Retains a significant portion of its elongation and recovery even
at temperatures around zero Fahrenheit.
4. Retains most of its elongation and recovery after many years of
natural weather exposure.

That eliminates at least 75% of what is so9ld in this country
as "elastomeric", but that's what we need elastomeric coatings to do.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive