BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

B-P on ICORS: The Orange Blaze/Texas Funeral Home Commission
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 07:38:49 -0500
While I would prefer to know more about the specifics of this site, rather
than generalizing, I can say that localized erosion, particularly in areas
with moisture infiltration problems, is the general pattern. Are you sure you
are looking at 1822 mortar, or is it the post civil war mortar? Far more
common to use natural cement in the 1860's, when it was the dominant hydraulic
mortar technology.

As for the stone, it is probably local. While the Corps of Engineers went to
great expense to bring natural cement and dolomitic lime from Rosendale, NY to
points over a thousand miles away, they wouldn't go 10 feet further than
necessary for aggregates or water, often using beach sand and the Atlantic
Ocean, respectively.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
Michael P. Edison
President