BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Delaney Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:18:04 EST
In a message dated 1/29/98 12:38:29 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Preservation law is a powerful tool in this regard. Codes are powerful
>  tools. Since I am working to make the PTN and IPTW items of influence,
>  is there a presentation possibility for the next IPTW? How about a
>  presentation on preservation law that is useful to the trades and
>  contractors in historic preservation. The law is used everyday to
>  influence the market place and assist in guiding the society in general
>  to certain goals. Do you have any info for us poor slobs in the ditches.
>  Maybe a code based primer on the strategies for saving and using archaic
>  materials

New Jersey's Dept. Community Affairs is about to come out with a comprehensive
new set of codes for rehabs of "existing buildings," with a special section on
historic buildings.  It has been years in the making, with input from
architects who work in restoration and rehab of historic buildings, among
significant others.  It is not perfect, but it is certainly better than
existing building codes that require dastardly alterations to satisfy code
requirements if the total cost of rehab exceeds a certain percentage of
assessed value (I think this is the correct standard -- if I am off, someone
help me here . . .).

Apparently NJ is in the national forefront of this kind of revamping of
building codes.  According to recent news reports, the builder's love it (it
reduces the cost of code compliance by something like $4000 per unit) AND the
preservation community generally supports it -- an unlikely alliance in most
circumstances.

For futher information, I attach a news release that was posted on the NJ
History listserv in September 1997, as it was going through the comment
period. In early January 1998, the DCA issued some proposed amendments --
mostly in the area of fire safety and egress, although I haven't studied them
carefully yet.

There ARE good things NJ is doing for preservation, in spite of my general
grumblings to the contrary.

Mary Krugman
Subj:    New Jersey Proposes Looser Codes for Rehab