BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:51:19 -0500
Leland,

Excellent article.

In the 80's when I was still running around NYC thinking to be a poet I
went to a reading of Dana Goia <http://www.danagioia.net/>, currently
chair of the NEA. For a while we shared an as I remember pleasant and
like minded correspondence. You should check out his thoughts.

"In 1977 he moved to New York to begin a career in business. For fifteen
years Gioia worked as a business executive, eventually becoming a Vice
President of General Foods. Writing at night and on weekends, he also
established a major literary reputation. In 1992 he left business to
become a full-time writer."

After I decided to focus energy on the histo presto career, and went
underground with the writing, our correspondence ended. I have not kept
up on his career.

A phenomena not mentioned in the article is the literary e-zine. Writers
who are net savvy tend to fuss about the idea of a distinction between a
website and a website that gathers up a particular individual's
(editors) idea of a select kind of writing (say contemporary southern
literary humor) then goes about attracting as many writers as they can
muster, at no compensation of course, that do contemporary southern
literary humor and stuff it into a crack in the digital universe then
say, "Here. Here is a literary magazine." Since these things don't cost
much more than time they pop up all over the place and since they mimic
the history of the small press and samisdat publishing there is a strong
tendency to imagine a form then to construct a mirage to reflect the
form. This phenomena is in turn reinforced by the traditional magazines
such as New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly etc. that publish their print
stories online, or have solely online publication of some stories, and
is also reinforced by the college literary publications, that
increasingly figure out that print on paper is more costly for their
computer savvy audience and tend to go online. The upshot is that there
is a whole lot of reading by contemporary authors that could be
qualified as literary that goes untracked. Some of these authors are
pretty phenomenal in their own rights... but it is the rare author that
will break from the digital into print, and when that break is made the
end result most often is remainders. What these e-zines do accomplish is
to create nodes where one can return to expect to find a particular
quality of reading experience.

There is also an interesting literary development, based mainly n the
UK, of folks working with cell phone system providers to solicit
one-line stories from authors for broadcast over cell phones to
subscribers. The authors get paid micro-cents for every read. These
one-liners need to have the usual structural elements of a short story
(very short) such as begin, middle, end, plot, characterization and
climax and suspense. They are not easy to write and there is a good deal
of competition.

The literary activity on the internet is in many ways parallel in
significance to video and YouTube only that to read requires a more
difficult set of skills to acquire, maintain and master than to watch
and listen to a video. In this respect it is comparable to the thoughts
as to why some sports, such as baseball, are well suited to television
while other sports are not so easily translated to the media.

Kathy has suggested that I read my latest story /The Butcher in the
Details /and post it on YouTube. I am thinking on it.

][<en