BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:51:47 -0400
> I think it is probably a poor choice for wood and needs a careful
look
> for historic work as it is not very reversible.
>         Let's hear from MikE on this.  By the way, Edison Coatings
> products have been used on an almost finished terra cotta façade
> restoration in (you guessed it, New Haven!) and look fabulous.  The
> color match and glazed look are the best I have seen to date.
> Best,
> Leland

Thank you, Leland, on both counts.

I looked over the web page quickly, and while I can admire Ralph's
hair trigger conclusion that this is bullshit for having been arrived
at even before reading the thing, and I respect the skepticism it
represents, there is always a possibility that some truly brilliant
bath-tub formulator has got something of merit by the tail and just
stinks at technical communication (not rare in us technical types). So
trying to keep an open mind, here are my objections to what's there:

1. The data is inadequate. You can't just give an ASTM test or
standard number and then report something like "34" without any units.
34 what? Perms? Metric perms? g/sq.cm./24hrs? squirrel farts? Giving
them the benefit of the doubt, however, let's assume these are perms,
and this is a pretty good rating for a thick paint. We still haven't
been shown that this is anything unusual.

2. I hate it when people call something by a different name just to
make it sound like something it isn't. Like "Synthetic Stucco" -- It
isn't stucco at all - - it's latex paint with a whole bunch of sand
mixed into it. But synthetic stucco (I will leave name brand
defamation to Ralph) sounds so much better than sand paint. What are
you using for the walls of my new 20 million dollar corporate office
building? "Synthetic stucco" sounds good. "Styrofoam, a little thin
set cement and sand paint" doesn't sound too good. A client might have
undesireable thoughts like "maybe this could fall apart after the
checks clear".

The site gives us nothing to indicate that this liquid siding is
anything other than paint. Thick paint. Paint you apply at a low
coverage rate so it ends up thicker than plain old paint.

3. When someone is hard-Selling the guarantee it's often a good
indication that you need a better one than you're going to get. There
are no lifetime guarantees. I laughed at a competitor for saying in a
public forum that they'll guarantee their product "for at least for
100 years". (I laugh at some of them for offering guarantees at all.)

This is an old game: Give me your money now. I will give you something
that costs very little and charge you a lot for it. But don't worry
that it's expensive, you have a guarantee!" And when you have a
problem in 5 or 10 or 15 years, OOPS! Where did they go?

Let's face it, good acrylic latex paint, properly installed, can last
10 years or more. So these guys can rake it in for a few years and
make a buck or two.

The alternative interpretation is that these guys are dumb salespeople
who actually swallow their own line of baloney. It's thick! It's
acrylic (presumably) and that is a very stable material! It can last
forever!

The only place it is likely to last forever is in the landfills into
it will undoubtedly be deposited within a period of time far shorter
than the average lifetime.

I guess I could have saved us all a lot of words and effort. OK,
Ralph, I'm with you on this one. Sounds like bullshit.
Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive