BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

B-P on ICORS: The Orange Blaze/Texas Funeral Home Commission
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:07:19 -0500
Ken,

Thank you for sharing the insight on estimating and the for the update on the
St. Felix Street project. My method of calculating material cost as a
percentage of job cost is a little simpler and cruder, roughly looking at
total contract price vs. our invoice for products sold. But I will grant that
there are many variables and details that we don't typically have to consider.

As for the dumb factor, I think we have had that discussion here before,
particularly in regard to historic repointing specifications and the use of
power tools vs. hand chisels. I tend to agree with those who argue that
specifications too often focus on the wrong end of the tool, and that any tool
in the hands of an idiot is potentially damaging.

Ken, you will be missed at the Natural Cement Conference in Washington next
week, but there is always next year in Syracuse. Shameless plug: Everyone else
can still sign up in the next few days. Complete information is available at
www.naturalcement.org.

As for Wal-Mart, I will confess to having shopped there in the past, and yes,
their prices are very low, but there are enough things that disturb me about
their business practices to keep me out of their stores these days. What keeps
me in touch with my roots is remembering the middle class world I grew up in,
and recognizing the downward pressure that the Wal Mart business model has had
on it. Then again, I may be unduly influenced by my perspective as one of a
diminishing number of manufacturers that are still manufacturing anything in
America.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
Michael P. Edison
President