BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jayne Uhlir <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 18:02:19 -0400
Hi All,

I’ve been skulking around the perimeter of this listserv well over a year now and
recognize I’m past due introducing myself.

I’m a project manager in Denver, currently working a corporate ebusiness contract, which
could not be a further throw from the wonderful world of stone.  Most other times,
however, I’m easily found in two of our historic cemeteries.

Over the last few years, I’ve done monument conservation training with NCPTT, received
my cert from Jahn to use their restoration mortars and generally spend my time teaching
other volunteers stone assessment practices and cleaning, and doing small repairs.

We’ve had success with several products from Prosoco (Biowash & 2010) on stable but
soiled marble, limestone, and unpolished granite monuments.   However, I haven’t had
any success cleaning polished granite.  Most of the soiling is obvious black layering which
is likely carbon based deposits from the many industrial stacks and railroad/other vehicle
emissions so prevalent in the area.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to safely clean these polished granite headstones and
monuments?

Many thanks,
Jayne Uhlir