BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:08:41 EST
Michael,
Re your 2/4/99 query about "corn pones in the privy" in New Hampshire and the
old privy on the Greek Island of Thera.  (I won't comment on "Plato's
Atlantis).

Actually much research has been done on the contents of privies by the
archaeological community.  Privies were a popular disposal facility for more
things than one (or "two").  Coins, watches, jewelery, keys - fall out of
pockets;  pipe stems, med and booze bottles,  broken dishes from the kitchen,
old pots - crockery, tea cups,garden tools ...I could go on.  When the hole
was filled in at the privies' "retirement", all sorts of household and yard
"junk" would be tossed in the hole.   Privies add to the cultural stories
about the lives of the people occupying the property.  Their surviving broken
castoffs in these treasure troves can indicate economic status as well as
availablility of certain goods in a particular location (say your rural New
Hampshire).  Dating a privie can help date a structure.

Regarding corn pone:  Corn pone is a johnnycake.  Flat and fried on the
griddle, I seem to remember it as rather crumbly - similar to cornbread.
White breads are known to have been used as TP, but I'm not sure of
johnnycakes.
On the other hand: johnnycakes have been around in the Colonies since the
Native American's showed the settlers what to do with corn.  Perhaps it was
more than a breakfast food.  Another reason why the John is named as such?
Make sure you know where your johnnycake has been before eating.

Corn cobs were used in rural America in the privie.  Sounds a bit harsh but
true.  The cobs were soaked until soft and left handy in the outhouse for use.
The shape of the cob helped clean out those hard to reach areas on one's
derriere.  Sort of a large wet pipe cleaner for people's backsides.

Early indoor toilet - c.2350 BC: Summerians of Mesopotamia - Sargon I.
                             Palace had 6 horsehoe shaped spaces positioned
over a
                             cesspit.

                             c.2200-1500BC: High point in Minoan culture -
Palace in city of
                              Knossos .  Flush toilets.  Roof water drains to
interconnected
                             Terracotta pipes feeding bathrooms.

Amusing reading suggestion:
"The Porcelain God: A Social History of the Toilet"
by Julie L. Horan
Publisher: Carol Publishing Group. NY: 1996

Candy Brashears