BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:05:54 -0100
Most of what I see as what goes for mortar analysis is to try to match
color and size of aggregate to the existing in hopes to identify
commercially available materials to come close to what is seen in the
original mortar. If one goes with the general assumption, as I do, that
a weathered joint exposes the aggregate and that the aggregate makes for
a more durable color than the binder (ruling out historically tinted
mortars) it is at least one step to get a mortar that does not glaringly
stand out from the existing. If one is doing museum quality conservation
a more exact analysis is certainly appropriate, but for the vast
majority of 'maintenance' of older masonry structures, and in a place
like NYC where there are so many of them and so many contractors with a
truck that says "RESTORATION" on the side of it... to even think to try
to match the aggregate in color and size is a big step.

][<