BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:06:47 -0400

My first new construction was also a fort: the design and fabrication of
a ca. 1964 camouflaged underground bunker, in the woods down by the
river. Excavation was dirty, tough work. The spoil had to be carefully
distributed about the area, so as not to draw attention. Roof beams were
salvaged from area trees. Hand-picked corrugated metal was found on
several old metal accessory buildings throughout the neighborhood, one
sheet from each. Then the stockpiled soil was placed over the roof.
Indigenous plant material was transplanted. Provisions imported. Careful
design resulted in a failure of rain to fill the place. Selected
entrance point driven into the edge of a bramble escaped detection.

We were able to win the war. Sorties could return from nefarious
missions and vanish at a moment's notice.

Candle consumption was high.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.   "The workman ought often to
Raleigh Historic           be thinking, and the thinker
Districts Commission       often to be working."
[log in to unmask]                       -- John Ruskin
919/890-3678