BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:50:42 -0500
Excerpts from what Bryan wrote:

----------

> In the ideal world of employees, the employer is an all knowing, deep
> pocketed, benevolent being who's soul purpose in life is to see the
> employees are well taken care of.
>
> In the ideal world of employers, the employee is a self-motivated, hard
> working, individual that is constantly involved in providing top quality
> services and products to the clients and employer.
>
> Both of these ideal situations are based on various forms of loyalty to
> one another.

> Many risk their personal family's future on a regular
> basis.

Bryan:  From my brief discussions with your wife and some of your employees
the above describes the way you run your business.  I commend your efforts
as always.

> So next time you think about training, also ask yourself how will
> the company benefit from this and what will the pay back period be. Use
> this information to argue for and justify your next request for training
> dollars. I would bet the response would be more positive.

Loyalty is the essence of the employer/employee relationship, however like
a hand shake as a bond it leaves a lot to memory.  I've always believed in
adages such as "My word is my bond" or "Honor, is the gift you give
yourself that no one can take away",  However, put your intentions in
writing.  (Heck, this is the pinheads' medium anyway.  Although much of
what we "write" is on the not is almost as ephemeral as speech.)  In
Germany to pick one example an apprentice mason enters into a well defined
three year contract which specifies what both "employer and employee" will
and will not do and what the wage increases are tied to.
The "out a here" mentality shows a lack of communication between the
parties and only serves to dilute the quality of the skills and diminish
the credibility of the voice of the craftsmen.  We should make a
concentrated effort to encourage employers (mastercraftsmen) and employees
(apprentices) to enter into long term "contracts".  The very definition of
loyalty is "faithfulness to commitments and obligations".

Best to all,

Leland