BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:11:33 EST
In a message dated 98-01-02 10:33:39 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I did not know, but think this will be great, for us and for the audience.
> Who
>  else is on it? I have not gotten any materials from them. I did have the
>  Careers panel in the back of my mind in talking here on the list about my
>  father, etc. (trying out presenting these idea in public, which I am *not*
>  used to doing).

John,

I have no idea who else is on the panel. I liked your talking about your
relationship with your father and hope that you will continue with your
refelctions in this regard.

My route to my position was non-traditional, higher/formal education has
played NO role in my career. My career started with breaking stones as a kid,
and got mixed up along the way. My desire was to be a writer and in the 70's
the idea was that if you really wanted to be a writer you should not go to
school... otherwise you would end up teaching writing and writing about
teaching writing. I chose to educate myself from people, and to supplement
same with heavy reading, paying close attention, and community college
technical courses. Technical math is the same in all parts of the universe.
Beside that, all I really wnated to do was hammer on rocks. So, for me, the
route that students take to become architectural conservators is totally
other.

I think I want to start my presentation be relating how I was in Oregon in the
early 70's working as a ditch digger on a housing development. My best friend
in the ditch was a recent Harvard graduate, we spent a lot of time talking
philosophy and playing chess. I lost my job after warning the builder that
there was going to be an electrical fire in one of the houses, which was true,
because I smelled it. They had to fire me because I proved myself too smart
and they were working a tax scam. They would  hire intinerant workers and
retain federal taxes, and then fire the workers every three months, keeping
the withheld taxes. At the time I looked fairly indigent. The airline industry
had laid off thousands of workers on the West Coast and finding any employ was
difficult. I applied for a job as an electrical inspector, I had a fairly good
understanding of the electrical code at the time. Though I did not get the job
I was advised to pursue a career via college, the military, or through a
trade. At the time it did not occur to me to become a preacher. This was the
best advice I think that I ever received.

I would repeat the wise nugets that people have told me through the years and
that have had an effect on my finding a career.

Contrary to established educational structures I believe that advice comes
with clarity only when the recipient is ready to receive the message. As well,
you learn things when you need them. Education is enlightenment, meaning the
light shines where you are standing. The world is full of assholes. There are
watchers, and there are workers. Anything worth doing is difficult. People do
not care where you got the information, they only want to be assured that you
have the information. Don't experiment too much with someone elses money. If
you have money, THEY will find out and take it. Thinking poverty is the secret
to riches. By the time we are finished we will be lucky if we know what we are
doing. Whatever you think is going on, you are probably wrong. If you get
bored doing the same thing over and over, think of sex. There is always a
simple answer, it is usually the wrong one.

That sort of stuff. I look forward to our mutual presentations.

][<en