BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:20:57 -0500
Bruce Marcham wrote:

> It is my impression that it's the client's job to communicate what
> those circumstances are (or the architect's to pull them out of the
> client) and the architect's job to explain the ramifications of those
> circumstances on the design solution to the client.

And my $.02 is that I think a contractor who thinks that an architect or
engineer is not more suited to negotiate this process than the
contractor themselves is a moron. I agree there are hybrids, as in
owner's representatives and construction managers, but I think in the
end what bothers me is the occasional assumption of residential clients
that if a contractor does it for them, without involving a design
professional, it should be a service provided for free and on
speculation, let alone opening themselves to run the risk of being
lynched in court at a later date.

I make a vast distinction between the one-off relationship with a
residential client, who often has no sense of "rules" of practice, and
working on a commerical or institutional project with a professional
team. I admire those who have the patience to work efficiently with
residential clients.

> "I can hold some poly down with some nails and roofing tar for $200
> but it will probably leak in a week or I can do it up right for $50000."

Now that does seem like a familiar discussion. The extreme, though, is
having to get into a process of educating the residential client as to
what poly, nails, and roofing tar are... and having them believe that
you are not trying to cheat them by offering the $50,000 solution. My
perspective is that there is always someone cheaper and I will tell
prospective clients that if that is what they are looking for then they
should keep looking. To provide the most efficient return that we are
capable of providing on their dollar, and to remain in business and
health long enough to do it a few times over again.

][<