BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts your pants are worth $42 million.
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:40:39 -0400
> Rudy,
>
> I caught wind of this from Bill Holes' comments in the PTN NNN.
>For that I don't think the academics have a clue as the mathematical models
>won't of their own accord lay the first brick.

 ][<en,

I am reading Fortress of the Soul by Neil Kamil (Have you read it?) and his
perspective on "artisanal security" is quite compelling. The byline to the
title is Violence, Metaphysics, and Material Life in the Hueguenots' New
World 1517-1751.
He points out that for many of the craftsmen who came to New Amsterdam from
many different cultures freedom of expression in their trade was as an
important an influence on their work as was freedom from religious
persecution. In a way New Amsterdam became the Camelot of the trades. As
they began to express themselves they also maintained a level of secrecy
which was manifested in the decoration they applied to their work allowing
those who uderstood the "code" within the decoration to identify the
tradesperson who effected it. For those early American tradespeople the
mystical and the material were one in the same. It would be dificult if not
impossible to document and explain in practical or academic terms the method
by which they worked yet the level of skill and authenticity would likely be
unatainable in today's business oriented environment.

Pave paradise. Put up a parking lot.

Rudy