BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Blythe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:20:26 -0400
The ability to auto-reply only once is different for each email system, but
I think on most newer ones, that a default setting.  Quite often, it's in a
user preference file to be set when you start your "out of office" agent.
Some (such as Lotus Notes, which is what I use) allow you to say "send this
message only to the following people" or "don't send this message to the
following people".  It's worth a look-see in your application's menu to
find the user preferences.

Since I use my work email for BP (SHHHHH, don't tell anyone) I use
auto-replys when I'm gone because I don't necessarily tell all my
co-workers and vendors that I'm going to be away (that would be more
overload on the mail server), so the auto reply only sends it to the people
who send me something.  If I didn't have auto-reply set, these people might
start to send me nasty-grams (How come you didn't answer me yet?  Do you
not want to work with me anymore????").  If I were subscribed to BP on a
home email account, I don't think I'd use the auto-reply feature.

- Pam

Maybe he has a sophisticated system that only sends the message to each
individual the first time they send him an email?  Maybe you do too?

If I had more time we could perhaps get into a discussion about whether
there really is a need for autoreplies to tell people we are away ... I am
undecided.  Personally, I don't use one, but then I try to check my email
every few days when I am away.  I have a message on my voicemail which says
I am away ...

Enjoy your absence from the office.

Cheers

david