BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Schneebeli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:03:14 +0100
Re: Late reply to David West's inquiry about Keim Coatings:

David,

I was at the Keim Seminar in Germany along with K. Follet, M. Davidson
and L. Torrence. There was alot of information and demos going around,
along with ample consumption of very tall beers, portions of something
called "Schweins Haxle", and alot of butt snapping with wet towels. Oh
yes, and the "Bird Song of Bavaria." No Pheasent Hunting.

After about three days, Ken finally asked, "what the hell is Render?"
(the word they were using to describe stucco). "Putz" was another word
for stucco, seriously.

I have had an opportunity to use the "Restauro" stone patch and I think
it is very good. Its a two part system: a rough under coat over pins and
wire, and a 1/2 inch top coat to match the surrounding stone.

I have also used the "Lasur" Paint system to stain the patches and also
new stone dutchman repairs. This also is quite good.

My understanding of their products is that the underlying ingredient in
all of the"Mineral Coatings"(as they like to call the stuff) is
Potassium Silicate. This bonds molecularly with high silica based
substrates (stucco, sandstone) and over time, becomes one with it. The
introduction of CO 2 from the atmosphere provides another curing
process.

We saw quite a few stucco buildings around Augsburg and Munich, coated
with Keim, which were looking pretty good after 40 or so years.

In answer to your specific questions, by my recollection:

1. Keim needs a sound substrate in order to hold up. It won't act as a
consolidant for a crumbling render wall. You would need to repair the
wall with their restoration renders. Once on a sound wall, the Potassium
Silica provides protection and breathability.

2. Keim has good opaque covering qualities. There are special primers
to be used on troublesome substrates.

3. Keim coatings applied properly (and there's the rub) are said to last
for all eternity. They are fond of showing photos of a  structure  in
Switzerland, in a harsh Alpine climate, coated 120 years ago.

4. Keim will soil, as it has a flat, stone-like finish. It is supposed
to hold up to cleaning and washing.

It seems that there is no way to take the coating off if you ever want
to, which is a concept I have some problem with.

Keim has many products in its line. They are not so user friendly,
meaning one needs to be trained to use them properly.

Unfortunately, Tech. support and getting material is difficult in the US
now. They have a representative in Shanghai. He was at the seminar. I
don't have his number.

Contact: Ulrich Betghe, Export Manager, Keim Central, Augsburg.
Phone.08 21 48 02 0

Better late than never, Hope this helps,

N. Micros