BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 07:45:55 -0500
Ken,
Well said.  That pretty much sums up the state of the art and I do not
disagree with any of this.  I will not respond at length because I was not
able to read your earlier responses to "training" since they were not in my
native tongue. However, I will say that the main purpose of a guild should
be to empower its members which must include not only getting work, but
getting a bigger piece of the construction pie.  The major difference
between guilds and unions is that one is made up of workers that are
intended to remain employees (a controlled work force) whereas the other is
a group of independant contracters.  The other major difference is that
guilds will tend to have members that can offer specialty skills and trades
in many localities not just the major cities.  It is disappointing that
these two groups will probably go into battle more than work together on
the issue of training of skills and apprenticeships.  It is clear that if
there is to be any dialogue it won't be in the major urban centers.
Could you please resend the e-mails on "training"?
Leland

----------
> [...]
but
> unless there is a winnowing process like a military boot camp to sort the
bull
> from the bananas then the graduates will come out worthless to the
market.

> Most contractors devise their own means of winnowing. In our case we put
them
> up on a hanging rig, say 100 ft. up on the side of a building, and see if
they
> ever take their hand off the backrail. If they shake the begeezus out of
the
> rigging then we let them go. We have no need for broomers (the last
resort is
> to hand them a broom and see how they sweep) and smileys (a guy you hire
for
> PR to stand on the street and smile while watching the truck) and
everyone has
> to be able to fly.
>
> What you do need is a business strategic plan that encompasses HOW to
come up
> with the skilled labor resource that you need? I fear that training of a
> resource for a for-profit venture will essentially remain the
responsibility
> of the employer. A friend once remarked to me that the game is who has
the
> money and is able to pay. If you have the money then hire someone who
knows
> how to do what it is you need to have done.
>
> Our skilled resource derives partly from previous union training, self-
> motivated individuals, out-of-country experience, out-of-area
experience,and
> in-house training from those who know to those who do not know. We will
hire
> inexperienced individuals if they show a good attitude and a desire to
learn.
> Good attitude is a very important and often overlooked quality.
>
> A majority of the NYC construction workforce is not born American. In my
> experience immigrant trade workers demonstrate a higher work ethic, tend
to be
> more honest (not stealing tools or materials), more polite, and more
loyal.
> Quite often they are highly skilled. These qualities are not something to
be
> taken advantage of. Many years ago, obviously for purposes of ambition, I
> determined that I should strive to work as hard as the immigrants that
were
> following my directions. There are various ways in which to make
effective
> contact with skilled labor pools in the immigrant population.
>
> You might think of the problem in terms of how to outfit the crew of a
sloop.
> I suggest some Patrick O'Brian novels to get an idea of the persepctive
> Captain Aubrey has regarding the individuals that make up a crew.
Whomever you