BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:41:15 -0400
 >>there is one NR-listed house (the Zuber-Jarrell House, a big
turn-of-the-century house) at 810 Flat Shoals Road (between Pasley and
Blake streets) several blocks from the tornado's path.<<

I consulted at the Jarrell in the late 90s on porch/columns. The mansion
is one of those amazing extravaganzas, but the entire property is
astonishing, it is an arboretum that takes up most of a city block
filled with gigantic trees collected from around the world a century
ago. At the Traditional Building  conference in Boston last week the new
owners of the Jarrell tapped me on the shoulder for another consult. I
just talked with them yesterday and found that their house and trees
were spared, but just one block away dozes and dozens of trees were
blown over into houses. They were picking up pieces of the Tabernacle
windows in their yard.

I was already scheduled to be at the Grant Mansion in Atlanta directing
the window restoration program for two weeks next month, then added on a
couple days for the Jarrell house, so I guess I'd better add another
week for assessing storm damage, etc.

The tornado blasted a track right between the Grant Mansion and the
Jarrell. Both escaped damage, but it sounds like hundreds in between did
not. I'll file a field report when I get there.

Latest Report from the Field, Deborah Mills, Woodcarver:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/video/rftf.htm

Oh, and they want me out in northern Minnesota at Grandview Lodge, so
I'm hoping to track down John Callan on my way.

It's a hoppin' spring after a productive but quiet winter. (well not
quite spring here in maine, where we got eight feet of snow (so far)
this winter, and it's snow squalls again today)

John
by hammer and hand
by mind and heart