BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts your pants are worth $42 million.
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:18:24 -0100
Rudy,

I caught wind of this from Bill Holes' comments in the PTN NNN.

I have been thinking about the situation re: technical 'scientific'
approach to materials vs. human subjectivity as it pertains to what
actually happens when someone touches the historic fabric. My
incliniation is that folks, such as the person from Malta, go for a
central controlled experience because what they can count they can
understand... the problem is that what one can count makes for a rather
simplistic model of reality. If you cannot understand much then you need
numbers... similar to the mathematical reductions of philosophy into
complex logic formulations -- the world is not a convenient algorythm
and we as individuals are not simple interchangeable commodities --
despite all attempts to make us so. It is complex to count what people,
such as traditional trades practitioners, or drunken astronauts, or
almost anyone, will do. I cannot, of late, seem to have a single
conversation with anyone attuned to historic conservation without them
saying something mildly negative about the practice and other
practitioners either on the trade, the academic or the design side  --
usually due it seems to me for thinking the other person somehow wrong
in their technical approach. For me the signal is that the focus is
skewed for a whole lot of reasons that tend to separate us from each
other, and to frame our world view in a vicarious fashion of
disengagement. For me it is becomming more and more aparent that an
encompassing perspective of the social aspects of the preservation
oriented community is possibly of a greater aggregate benefit to
conserving heritage than a narrow focus on the specific technique and
technology in the manipulation of materials.

Beyond knowledge of materials the Bohunk has a primacy in the knowledge
of process. The Bohunk knows through the intelligence of using
tools-in-hand to effect their environment. The intelligence of the
Bohunk is in the process. It is this tendency to engage, to do
something, to take action and to change the environment, to use tools
that is causing me to have more and more interest in the sacred aspect
of traditional trades. To me it is an incredibly wonderful and amazing
action when a brick actually goes where I intend it to go. it makes me
wonder, and it makes me want to set another brick to see if it will
happen again. For that I don't think the academics have a clue as the
mathematical models won't of their own accord lay the first brick.

][<en