BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:03:10 -0500
>In a message dated 98-01-21 13:24:10 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > Folks think if the street is nice, well, then, business will be
> >  great, and that will stimulate private investment.
>
> Dan,
>
> Not trying to put words in  the BP Gods mouth, but for my trying to
>understand more clearly.
>
> A strategic point would be that in order to succeed in revitalization you
>need:
> 1) a holistic approach and 2) a plan to revitalize to the end?
>
> You have spoken of holistic approches in the past. Could you give a more
>comprehensive idea of what this means? Obviously some sort of urban
>planning with historic preservation in mind?

Doggone it, Ken, I'm down here dancing on the noses of snapping alligators
right now and you want me to elucidate my entire preservation philosophy in
one concise formulaic approach that will  place preservation next to
godliness and solve all the problems for the ages?

Won't happen, 'cause I haven't yet figured it all out for myself.  I'll
continue to dribble out nuggets of nonsense, and promise to find some time
to maybe hoist a boulder of braininess, but the castle is a long way from
being finished...it's a life's work, as you well know.

Isn't it nice to see them back at work on St. John's Cathedral?  Now THAT'S
some serious apprenticeship.

Dan Becker
Executive Director, Raleigh Historic Districts Commission