BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
only great work is done in monkish silence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:51:56 -0400
Well, if all my respondents would come to Ann Arbor and dig, I'd make
soup, steak, and apple pie.  Yesterday's distraction was USA Today.  A
reporter and photographer were in town to interview, Marshall McLennan,
our academic expert on vernacular construction, and they thought they
might as well include our contractor, Steve Steir, who is the hands-on
Michigan expert in barn restoration.  They went on a tour of local but
interesting barns.  The article should be published some time next week.
My husband has joined the guys in the trenches.  I, however, remain an
observer and photographer.

Yes, Ralph, 40 degrees is still considered mild weather to them, and
they are still promising to finish before real winter.

Martin, you are right-on about working conditions.  We started in
September, when there was still too much 80-degree weather that made
them look for the distractions - school, conferences, barn raisings -
and the pattern has been established.  I've offered food, but not
brought it to the site, probably big mistake, I think I'll try food
next.  Thanks for the advice.

Dan, the haiku may be just right for calming us in the face of adverse
conditions.  There should probably be one about waiting for the City
inspector's approval before we can order and pour the concrete.

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA

219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
www.quinnevans.com