BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 22:20:52 -0100
The use of bullshit in mortar was very prevalent

> in the 19 cent; It gave color n /USA documentation;

> Most writers and authors including Audabon,Poe, Washington Irving,
> Cooper, all found publishers either in France or in Great Britain
> .. because besides American broadsheets

There actually is an element of the manner in which historically
Americans have related to books... and combine that with the move west.
McMurty in Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen, despite everything else
going on that we don't need in his longish essay (besides the fact that
most of our popular concepts of the wild west is a mythical history made
up), points out that in the 19th century a good deal of the Americas as
we know of them these days were essentially dismally illiterate. Some of
that pioneer population did speak German, or French, or Spanish. It has
something with why McMurty is trying to build the largest used bookstore
in Texas in the world... a rival to the Strand. And there is the whole
issue of the historical movement of the book business from trash,
libelous slander, misinformation and popular bodice ripper crap,
copyright infringement similar to what we hear about w/ China and DVD's
etc. to what we now consider legitimate technical publications. When we
look back on the history of books, and literature we see what is the
better of what is left over. We do not see all of the garbage that is
left further behind. All due respect to Sharpshooter who at least has
the uuber-kool to read diaries. When I first encountered the access of
the Library of Congress I dove into 19th century local Upstate NY
literature (women's movement and all) and was amazed at how much poetry
had come from my homeland. I was inspired to suggest to a poet/publisher
back home a retrospective collection of regional literature... his
comment, "It was garbage poetry then it is garbage poetry now." I do not
quite agree with that, then again I pay as much attention to the demise
of Anna Nichole Smith as I do the mortar wars, but that was the gist of
it. Americans have for quite some time taken their bearings from Europe
and very strongly so up until WW2 when we began just a bit to catch onto
our own culture.

][<en