BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The "hissen at the silence" listserv ....
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 08:48:40 -0400
Stained Glass is NOT painted with paints or inks, it's "painted" with
glass that is fused in an oven.  The painting is permanent;  you cannot
scrape off stained glass painting.  Poorly adhered, usually poorly
fired, painting scrapes off.  The pattern is applied with a brush or
with a stencil, and there is no fixer other than heat.  It also cannot
be refired to apply more painting or to repair existing failing
painting.  Repairs could consider adding a clear piece with the restored
painting fired onto it, then laminated over the original piece inserted
into the lead cames.  This is complicated and should be done in a shop
and under the supervision of a stained glass conservator.  Depending on
your area, I might be able to recommend someone.  Many of you may know
Art Femenella, New Jersey;  he is a good resource for exacting repairs.
We've encountered this similar problem on windows, and there are number
of decisions to determine whether the "painting" should be conserved in
context with the entire project.  More later...

QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA