BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Royal Order of Lacunae Pluggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:00:36 -0500
My opinion.....

You (or someone experienced in this) need to spend some time looking at the
construction (walls, ceiling, roofs, floors), materials, condition,
performance, etc. Then think about each repair and material being considered
and how it may affect the performance of the wall, floor, ceiling, roof.
Placing the vapor barrier in the wrong location, can cause rotting within
the wall section.

On the particular item of concern - expanding foam (urethane or latex
based?). It is difficult to imagine that this or sealant would perform
satisfactorily for any length of time in wood or masonry.

Caution sealing the chimney - moisture buildup within can cause
deterioration - still need to vent out moisture somewhat.

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Senior Project Director
LZA Technology