BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:11:01 -0700
If'n you fellas REALLY want to know where the lime came from, not that I
give a tinker's dam, I think you should start looking for ship's manifests
for the time period in question.  There are lots of them out there, I
understand.  So follow the paper trail.  If a ship load of lime, of
whatever kind, left France on X date and showed up at the site of a fort
being built in USA on Y date about 2 months later it's a good bet they
weren't using it on the strawberry bed.

That's where we use it though.  We use mag lime, which I assume refers to
magnesium content on lots of garden and field crops to "sweeten" the soil.
We also used "quick" lime once, to put in the old hand dug well to clean it
up as it had not been used for many years.

Is it true that if you climb down into an old well and look up you can see
the stars in the daytime or is that an "old farmer's" tale?  Ruth
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT