BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:54:08 -0500
John:

I found this approach really hit home:

> By the way, a few years back I trained staff maintenance workers at Southern
> College, near Chattanooga, in the special preservation methods needed to
> preserve some 46' tall exterior wood columns. They were able to apply their
> new knowledge to other buildings at the college as well. Unfortunately, they
> are not available for outside work.

If nothing else my consultants did irked me, the failure to inform,
educate and develop the independence of our own maintenance and
preservation staff would continue to drive me nuts. The most valuable
service that can be provided is one that allows our staff to continue to
move onto ever more challenging projects.  Some understand that
preservation crafts people are created from crafts people with
opportunities to learn preservation...others do not.  In fact, the
consultants who return are those who have left the staff better off,
regardless of the work on the buildings.

-jc