BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 22:57:34 -0500
If I wanted to learn to reasonably safely access high, difficult or
confined spaces in order to do condition assessments.  Where do I look
for training?  Is "rock climbing" relevant?  How about caving?  The
times when I have wished I had these skills have been few, but
dramatic...either I backed off and settled for second hand or distant
information, or threw caution aside and things got exciting.  I think
there may be another cistern in my future, my fourth, and some
interesting but difficult to access roofs, gutters and soffits.  Seems
one can take classes at the Technical College in working in confined
spaces...but I don't think its intended for preservation folks.

Oh yeah...having once been paralized by fear on a roof edge...is it
certain that it will happen again?  Could it have been a one time
thing?  I seem to have developed a fear of heights...but I still want to
be up there to see for myself.

-jc