BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:50:01 -0800
Or until they fall off and hit some hapless passer-by on the gob!  Yours in
snowed-in till May Vermont

At 7:17 AM -0500 1/5/09, Gabriel Orgrease wrote:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] wrote:

 installed exterior glazing, that in turn caused an unintended destruction
of what was intended to be saved.

Really, really, actually true, you are sure?   Or just preserva-cant?
Christopher

Sharpshooter,

I wish it were cant. Though 'destruction' may be too harsh of a word, I
will agree on that. Possibly 'deterioration' is more appropriate.

I am by no means expert on the subject and there are several here more
qualified to speak up.

The exterior glazing, I presume in an idea to provide a thermal and
waterproof layer to the window system, rarely was vented. So the result was
build up of heat and condensation that in turn caused various deleterious
chemical and thermal activities in the windows. It also caused problems to
the materials framing the windows, be they either stone, wood or steel.

I do believe the consequences were not intended.

I have seen in one example the water held in to such an extent that it
looked like a fish tank and the inside temperature of the glass registered
at 150 Fahrenheit. Stewards had drilled small holes on the inside of the
glass to let the water out, and the holes had quickly plugged and let no
water out. When this block of water freezes in winter I am sure it is not
much help to the window.

On a recent gig we provided a lift for the architect to access the upper
portions of a sg window because they were worried what they saw from the
ground that it was stone tracery preparing to fall onto the sidewalk. The
potential of hitting folks in the head is not considered a rhetorical
problem. Turned out it was some sort of gobs of stuff left over from when
the exterior glazing had been removed about 10 years previously. The
exterior glazing had been removed, but the contract did not specify removal
of the gobs of stuff. As the church now faces a radical reduction in their
endowment it is likely that the gobs of stuff will remain there long enough
to be forgotten until another curious architect comes along with a
conscience.
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT