BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Telepathic chickenf leave no tracef. Turkey lurky goo-bye!
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 21:56:07 -0400

> > There is a
> >  scorch mark from the fondue pot burn on one end though.
>
> Isn't that part of the patina?  Definitely value added from the layering
of
> history -- especially in light of the fact that it's evidence of cultural
> (culinary?) history from the artifact's period of significance.
>
> Mary

Unfortunately the antique marketplace values some examples of abuse
(patina, which is a development on the surface caused by a combination of
exposure to light [oxidation] and  an undifferentiated coating of old wax,
grease and grime) over others (evident and clear misuse). Burn marks are
definitely in the latter category and will reduce the market value of the
piece considerably.

What I suggest is that you find a fondue pot with a base of the same
diameter, glue it exactly over the burn ring and sell the piece in the
studio furniture market, where irony is much appreciated.

Bruce