BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
This conversation may be monitored for quality control.
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2007 07:37:34 -0400
Terne coated copper...isn't that the Freedom Gray that Revere is marketing to replace lead coated copper?  Eventually no will produce lead coated copper, and we'll all have to switch to something else, but I have not yet used it on a project, nor have I talked to the tin knockers to see how they like handling/soldering it.  The problem of staining isn't any worse with terne than with lead as a coating, which I have seen leach off the copper base metal on some projects.

We just finished an all new custom batten-seam copper roof for Kingswood at Cranbrook, but the copper is historically correct. It's already going from bright and shiny orange to brown, but a long way from the green everyone is used to seeing.  Local contractor CASS did a beautiful job.

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA
QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104