BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

When I'm in bed I'm a tourist.
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:45:17 -0500
There are undoubtedly certain damage processes which are related to freeze-
thaw, but when I see the same pattern of glaze spalling in these other
climates I have to be skeptical about the prevalence of those effects.

So in New York everybody blames freeze thaw. Perhaps in California they
blame seismic activity, or El Nino. I didn't ask, but in Hawaii maybe they
blame evil volcano spirits.

Actually, I had a recent experience working on a terra cotta project in
Hawaii, where there are relatively few old masonry buildings. The project
manager told me that when he asked his mason whether he had ever worked with
terra  cotta, the mason answered that he wasn't sure, but "if you introduce
me to him, I might know him".

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President