BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deb Bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:36:35 -0500
From: "Ruth Barton" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: Coon huntin'

> Up here we eat coon.  I haven't had it for quite a while but when we used
> to have Game Suppers they always served coon as well as venison and bear.
>
> As I understand it the rules of coon huntin' say that the person who owns
> the dog gets to invite whoever he wants to come along.  I always wanted to
> go but my uncle said I couldn't because it was a buddy of his that owned
> the dog and he hadn't invited me.  Probably just an excuse.  Ruth

Ruth,

out here in southwestern ohio, some folks eat raccoon also; it tends to be
people who are from the south originally...
as with all "specialty meats", the proper preparation and cooking includes
extensive salt soaking and cleaning of the carcass and the addition of lots
of hotsauce...

your uncle wasn't making excuses; as you are not an appendage person, you
weren't invited -
coon hunting is mostly just a way for the mens to get out of the house and
away from the rules of the womenfolk...
they sit around a big camp fire, cuss, pass a jar of white liquor, piss on
the trees, tell whatever kind of jokes they want, maybe play a little banjo
and guitar

meanwhile, the dogs are baying off over the hill in the dark
it is a sweet sound, when they aren't too close, and it usually takes til
the wee hours before they tree the coon

I was fortunate enough to have a dad who thought I should have been a boy,
and so was carried along to a coonhunt when I was about 11, and old enough
to know to sit quiet off in the shadows and just watch and listen...
my early education was quite thorough

deb